Sunday, December 19, 2010

20 Financial Milestones for your Twenties

A few people posted this recently, but I saw it first from Me in Millions. I decided to participate, even though 1) I have not completed many of these things, and 2) I'm not done with my twenties. But I wanted to fill this out to see what goals I want to work on for the next year and a half.


How are you doing?
# 1 – Finance a dream vacation…in cash 
Nope. I've gone on a few dream vacations, but unfortunately they were in my debt days. I'd love to take a trip to Europe and hit up a bunch of the smaller countries I haven't visited...though that might not happen before 30.
# 2 – Pay off your student loans 
Nope. I have over $12,000 left, though that is a good chunk of the way there. I'm planning on upping my student loan payments after my car is paid off, so I should start to see some legitimate progress there this year.
# 3 – Automate paying your credit card bill in full 
Check! I am out of credit card debt, and I maintain only one credit card for emergencies. 
# 4 – Get rid of all bad debt 
This will be done this year, because I don't see student loans as "bad debt."
# 5 – Build an adequate emergency fund 
I have a $1,000 emergency fund for now, though I do need to work on increasing that after my car is paid off. I'm going to say checkish on that one.
# 6 – Make your first, and last, investment mistake 
I totally overpaid on my car, so I could count that. I also made the mistake of not starting to invest or save for retirement until this year, but I'm on the right track now. So, check!
# 7 – Develop a statement of cash flows 
Check! I keep track of my spending, and finally created an excel spreadsheet for the task starting next month. More on that in another post.
# 8 & 9 Max out a Roth & Contribute to your 401(k) 
Nope. I opened a 403(b) this year, but I am not maxing it out yet. Don't have an IRA yet either.
# 10 – Get a degree or certification that increases your earning power 
Check! I have a Master's Degree that I got at 24, and I am working on National Boards, which would greatly increase my earning power (more than my Masters actually)
# 11 – Take a career risk 
This year I am going to apply for a new school...we'll see what happens, but I might take that risk.
# 12 – Negotiate something 
Check! I negotiated a kick ass deal on my school's yearbook contract a few years ago, which still benefits us. I wish it were something for myself, but it was good practice.
# 13 – Earn your first side grand 
Check? I have taught Summer School a few times, which earns a few extra grand...does it count as side if it's affiliated with my regular job? 
# 14 – Start a sub-savings account for an upcoming financial goal 
Nope. That's a good one. I want to start a travel fund after I pay off my car...though it seems I have a LOT of goals for that, so we'll see what I can accomplish.
# 15 – Set a target retirement date 
Hmmm. I should be able to retire at 62 and a half, but I also hope to take a few years off when I have kids...so we'll see. Lots of hypotheticals there.
# 16 – Monitor your credit 
Nope. I don't really do this, and I should. Any tips on that?
# 17 – Say no to a financial salesman 
Does this mean someone trying to get me to make investments or just a regular salesman?
# 18 – Give just enough to make it hurt 
I could do better on this. I support a child through World Vision, but that's a relatively small amount each month. 2 Milestones for the Over Achiever 
# 19 – Invest $1 for every $1 you spend 
Honestly, not going to happen. But that's a lovely thought.
# 20 – Start a 529 College Savings Plan 
I don't have kids and I'm done with school...so not right now. 


How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out. Glad it got you thinking and goal setting :)

    ReplyDelete