Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday This & That

Well, I still don't have internet at my new place...I will on Monday though! So, I should be back to normal blogging next week. The good news is that I'm all moved in and mostly unpacked. I still have some organizing to do and need to hang pictures on the walls. My goal is to have the pictures hung by the 1st and to have everythning out of boxes by that date as well. I'm partially waiting because I have some friends moving who I think are going to sell me their dresser. If I get that, my old dresser is going in the hall closet, and I'll use it to store cleaning supplies and linens inside of. But, I need to wait until their move to see if that's going to happen.

The other big news for the week is that I've decided to go vegan. I've toyed with the idea for a while, and I finally decided to just take the plunge and try it out. My reasons are primarily health based, though I'm also not a fan of how the meat and dairy industry treat animals and the environment. I am committing to give it six solid weeks of commitment. After that, I'm going to see how I feel and what differences I notice in my health and wellness and go from there. So far I've made vegan spring rolls, paninis, a soup that I hated but my sister liked, and a few different types of salads. Tonight I'm making pad thai for my old roommate who's coming to dinner. So far I feel good and the temptation hasn't been as bad as I thought. We shall see though.

Spending...ugh. I haven't been tracking it as well as I normally do, and I've done a lot of grocery shopping since I pretty much had to start fresh with the move, plus I'm trying all sorts of new recipes. I'm over budget on my groceries already, and payday isn't for another two weeks. I need to sit down and do some meal planning based on what I have in my fridge right now. I am waiting until next month when I get my taxes back and my yearbook stipend to buy a dining room table and some other odds and ends for my apartment. Plus I need to replenish my e-fund, which I've pretty much drained in the last two weeks. I know it's what it's there for, but I hate using it!

That's about it for now. Next week when I have internet at home and I'm not typing this out super fast at work I'll do some more complete updates, including the adventure of getting my couch into my apartment (the moral is: buy insurance for the moving truck!)

2 comments:

  1. Wow going vegan is such a big step! I am a vegetarian myself and I really want to go vegan, but I love cheese way too much. lol! I hope you write about your vegan adventures in the blog, I would really be interested in reading about it. Esp when you go out to eat, it is so hard to order something without cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with going Vegan. I don't eat much meat - red meat once every 3-4 months (if that) but I do have chicken breasts each week. I too love cheese (way too much!) I'm not sure I could go vegetarian, let alone vegan, so good for you.

    As for as the money, "life" happens to the best laid plans, you have done so well and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete