Thursday, July 14, 2011

Making the Most of Gift Cards

Yesterday I used two gift cards in places I would have normally spent money. I saved about ten bucks, which brings me way more joy than ten bucks probably should.

As in, "Jess, did you just win the lottery?"
"No, but I cheaped out and saved ten bucks using gift cards!!!!!!!!"

First, I went to Target to buy razor blades. Razor blades are the bane of my existence. I hate buying them because they're so expensive, and it hurts to buy the big pack for twenty plus dollars, so I feel like I always need them. Anyway, I had two $2 off coupons, so I picked up a four pack of Venus razor refills and a new razor that comes with two refills. After coupons and tax I spent $20.56. But, when you bought two Venus items you got a free $5 Target gift card with purchase. First I was going to get Vitamin Water and some other goodies for myself, but then I decided to see if I could be practical with my gift card. So, I decided to browse the baby section and pick out a gift for a friend who's pregnant. I'll be throwing her shower in September, and I'll definitely get her something else, but for now I got a super cute hooded towel on clearance for just under $5. This will save me money later when I'm shopping for her gift!

Then, last night we had book club at Starbucks. One of my students gave me a $15 Starbucks card at the end of the year, so I was able to get a delicious iced caramel macchiato last night for free. :) Usually I use gift cards the second I get them, so it's nice that I was able to hold off and still have my Starbucks card three weeks later.

2 comments:

  1. that's awesome! I love saving money!
    I don't know if you're loyal to a certain brand or not, but if you're not, you should look at deals at CVS. I've stocked up on razors and I didn't pay more than $3. I just bought a Bic Soleil Shimmer razor for 99 cents yesterday, with a coupon and cvs bucks deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gift cards. Usually I save mine for something special and then the kids find them! Drat!

    ReplyDelete