Saturday, June 5, 2010

Money and Marriage

I drove my sister to her new job in Utah this weekend (nine hours there on Friday, nine hours back on Saturday). Last night in my hotel I was enjoying the rarity of basic cable and stumbled across a show called  'Til Debt Do Us Part. I'm sure many of you have seen it, but it was a new one for me.

I can see how it would get really repetitive if I watched it all the time, but watching just one episode got me thinking about how important it is to marry someone who is on the same page when it comes to finances. The couple had so many issues that they hadn't dealt with, and so many financial issues they hadn't even talked about. I think some of the issues are not only financial, but are actually communication problems. So I guess the first thing to keep in mind is to marry someone who you communicate well with. But it also seems important to talk about money, which gets tricky. It's not exactly appropriate to discuss finances on a first date, but at what point do you bring it up? How do you talk about something so important but so taboo to discuss?

I'm not really at a point where this is an issue. Most of my dating has been casual lately, but watching the show got me to thinking. Any of you people in relationships want to throw in your two cents?

2 comments:

  1. Gail from Til Debt Do us Part is my Guru. I've seen all her episodes and have her latest book.

    You absolutely have to be on the same page financially with your significant other. Trust me. It's no fun if you are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran into financial problems in my long term relationships. Somehow we ended up segregating what we paid for, like I covered food and he covered entertainment. I was paying much more than him by the end, which created bad feelings between us.

    Live and learn! Open communication is definitely the key.

    ReplyDelete