Thursday, December 24, 2009

Little Shop of Horrors

I have not bought new clothes since August. Not one item.

Sometimes, not shopping is difficult. When I see a cute trend that I'd like to try, for example. Right now I'd love to have a cute, fitted plaid shirt, a pair of slouchy boots, and a wool mini-dress to wear with tights and black flats. When I see other people in these clothes, I wish that I could go to Marshalls or Nordstrom Rack and snatch these items up. (Along with some new shoes and a purse-my two biggest shopping weaknesses). 

But, I have to say it's gotten easier and easier not to buy clothes. In fact, when one of my friends mentioned that she had bought new clothes for herself, my first thought was, "But she just bought a bunch of clothes! That's not necessary." That, my friends, is certainly a change from how I thought a few months ago. A few months ago I would have thought, "Why didn't you call me?" or "I should go shopping this weekend too!" But really, I don't need to. My closet is full and I have more than enough clothes if I keep up with my laundry (IF being the operative word). 

That's not to say that once my credit card debt is paid off, I won't pick up a few of the items I've been wanting. But it's nice to know that my thought process can shift and that I've curbed my constant shopping habit. And trust me, if I can do it, you can do it.

2 comments:

  1. i love it! ive made the transition a few times too, but it is hard to maintain it indefinitely because of the consumer culture we live in! more power to ya! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't go months without shopping, but I have done a few no shopping months this year. Sometimes it's really hard, but it defintely puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete