Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I'm 29!

I got this idea from my friend Jessica, who did this for her 27th birthday. I decided to make a list of 28 things I'm thankful for or proud of that happened while I was 28, plus something I'm looking forward to, to make the list 29 things for my 29th birthday. Read on, if you'd like to know!

1. I have been lucky enough to stay in good overall health this year.
2. I lived on my own (as in by myself) for the first time, and actually enjoyed it.
3. My boyfriend and I moved in together, which has been a great decision. I am so thankful for all the ways we make each other happy.
4. I started a 403(b).
5. I started a Roth IRA, and am on track to max it out this year.
6. I paid off my car loan eleven months early!
7. I made sure I got my loan forgiveness for my student loans, and received my second to last payment.
8. I got to visit Alaska for the first time and have an amazing trip with my sister.
9. I visited Chicago for the first time with Freddie and learned a lot about how we travel together.
10. I went to San Francisco and saw a baseball game with three of my cousins.
11. I got closer to my cousin Karen and had lots of fun times with her this year.
12. I did not get laid off this year.
13. I was able to work and a brand new school. While this is not without challenges, I am thankful for this new opportunity.
14. I finally called in to a radio show on NPR to talk about education.
15. I used the library to avoid buying ANY books this year, and read many books.
16. I got closer with my friend Jessica and I am thankful that she is also friends with my boyfriend.
17. I maintained this blog and feel like I am making more "friends" across the blogosphere.
18. I kept going to book club, which has been fun and made me read a variety of books I might not have read otherwise.
19. I met my goal of selling over $500 worth of items online.
20. I ran a 5k without stopping to walk once!
21. I go to work with kids I like each day, and have been able to keep in touch with some awesome former students.
22. I used my Spanish to communicate with parents at Back-to-School Night, even though I am not fluent. (Goal-work on Spanish next Summer)
23. Took enough classes to get a raise at work, and learned about all sorts of things that made me a better teacher.
24. I cooked Thanksgiving dinner and Easter brunch for my family, and I'm very thankful they were able to be with me.
25. I co-coordinated the Pennies for Patients fundraiser at my school, raising over $5,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
26. I am thankful for new friends that I've made at work and through my boyfriend's friends and families.
27. I am thankful for my friendships with old friends, which though they have changed, are still valuable in my life.
28. I am thankful for my family who supports me no matter what.

And the thing I am most looking forward to this year: I plan to pay off my student loan before I turn thirty, which will make me officially, 100% debt free!!

2 comments:

  1. that's a neat idea!

    happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic list, so positive and an awesome reflection of how well you enjoy life and share experiences with others. All the best for paying off you student loan by your 30th birthday, I just missed that goal but will have it paid off be my 31st birthday.

    All the best for another fabulous 12 months.

    ReplyDelete