Monday, August 22, 2011

Frugal Romance: A Card for No Reason

I am not a morning person. I am very rarely late to work, but I do like the snooze button. So my mornings don't start out with a serene cup of coffee as I gaze out my window. On days when I work, I am usually running out the door, breakfast in hand, juggling what I need for the day.

This is why this frugal romance idea is so great. Occasionally I have rushed out to my car to see something under my windshield wiper. No, not an ad for a dry cleaner or tanning salon. A card from my boyfriend.

Usually it just says to have a good day or has a nice Hallmark sentiment that reminded him of me. My favorite one said, "Whether it's a good day or a bad day, it's always an I love you day." Awww. (Or barf. Sorry, this is kinda a cheesy series). And nothing makes me smile and changes the hectic tone of my morning like stopping to read a card before I start my car to head to work. I walk into school with a smile on my face and usually stick the card in my purse so I can look at it again later that day to get another feel-good boost.

I returned the favor when I went to Alaska without him. Before we left for the airport I stuck a card under his pillow for him to find that night. I used a blank card I already had, so this was essentially free for me. Most of the cards he buys me are around three bucks.

My dad used to leave notes for my mom on the dining room table before he left for work in the morning. He would write them on notebook paper, somedays drawing a heart or something else that I used to roll my eyes at when I was younger. But my mom still has some of those notes, and now that he's gone I know it means a lot to remember that. And as an adult, it makes me happy to realize that my parents loved each other enough to leave notes for each other.

So, take a moment to write a note or card to your significant other. Or to write a note of encouragement to a friend or family member. It's a small gesture that can go a long way.

6 comments:

  1. Not cheesey at all...i love it and I used to do it and I need to do it again :)
    xo Jana
    thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS-I turned off word verification on my blog and I don't get any spam that isn't screened out by blogger and I get more comments now too.
    Just thought you'd want to know.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love doing this!!! I'm a fan of the notes under the pillow and on the windshield...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love doing this! I tend to stick notes in his lunch bag in the morning, so when he grabs for his sandwich he sees that I was thinking of him :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this!!! i am totally going to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder, to do something nice, just because.

    ReplyDelete