Monday, August 23, 2010

Adventures in Cooking at Home-Crockpot Quiche

I got this recipe from my friend Kari, who calls it Spinach Spoon Bread. I changed the name to Crockpot Quiche because I think it more accurately describes it. Also, I forgot to put the salt in it, because I always forget salt. And, it calls for a stick of butter...anyone have a suggestion on how to lighten that up a little? I'd like to make it a little healthier (though it is delicious!) Here's the recipe:

Spinach Spoon Bread

1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cottage cheese
1 package (5 1/2 oz) cornbread mix
6 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 tsp seasoned salt

1. Lightly grease slow cooker insert; preheat on high
2. Combine all ingredients in large bowl; mix well. Pour batter into slow cooker. Cook covered with lid slightly ajar to allow excess moisture to escape, on High 1 3/4 to 2 hours or on Low 3 to 4 hours or until edges are golden and knife inserted in center of bread comes out clean.
3. Serve bread spooned from slow cooker. Or, loosen edges and bottom of bread with knife and ivert onto plate. Cut into wedges and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment