Sunday, February 19, 2012

Giving for Free

Andrea posted a link to this post about donating without spending money. I've posted about this topic before, but since the post inspired me, I want to give credit where credit is due.

Yesterday, I went and donated blood at the Red Cross. It's free, it only took me about half an hour (make an appointment), and it can save up to three lives. I am type O Negative, so they are always on me to give (universal donor). Afterward, I got free snacks, and I also got a coupon for a free appetizer at Mimi's Cafe.

I used to be super terrified of needles. It got a little better as I got older, and while I still don't want to watch the needle go in my arm, I am able to give blood without getting panicky. I also make myself do it because I believe in it. It can't be made any other way, and it's free to give.

So, if you are able, I challenge you to give blood this week. The need is constant, and how often can you say you saved someone's life? If you give blood, you can say it every 56 days. If you do give, please comment and let me know! I'll give you a shout-out in a future post!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't given yet, but I really need to. You've given me the push to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking of giving blood. I'm a little scared of needles, but that shouldn't stop me - people that need blood have much worse circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bloodmobile comes to my workplace every ~58 days and my workplace lets me use company time to donate. It's hard to find a reason not to! I sign up every time.

    ReplyDelete