Thursday, February 23, 2012

Bitches Get Stuff Done!

I was reminded of this Tina Fey quote by my sister last weekend, when I had to get a little bitchy to get stuff done. If you want to see the original context (and you do), check out this video (the part I'm referring to starts at about 1:20). (Also, Hillary 2016!)

First, I had to go to CVS to return a recalled prescription. (Yes, the one in the news). (No, I'm not.) I called to see if they'd have the replacement, and the woman on the phone basically said that mine wasn't recalled. Ummm, yeah it was. I got the letter, checked the lot numbers. It was. She said most people got those letters two weeks ago. Well, I got mine three days ago, and that doesn't make me feel better. She said to just come in and the pharmacist could, "check to see if it was recalled." When I got there I showed the pharmacist my pill packs (one of which I had already taken...yikes) and she casually said that I was right and that they could have the medication the next day. I pushed back, telling her I was unsatisfied with their service and how I was treated on the phone. I also said that I wanted to medication that day, since I'd already taken a months worth of recalled medication. She got on the phone and found a local pharmacy where I could pick it up that night.

Bitches get stuff done.

Then I had to do a return at Victoria's Secret for an online order I received as a gift, and to make a long story short, after one very helpful phone rep explained how I could return the gift and order the new item in store, the women at the counter said I couldn't. I pushed back, saying I was told I could. After a few tries, I specifically asked if there was a form I could use (since I didn't have the packing slip...it was a gift). And suddenly, after I pushed back, they "remembered" that they had the form.

Bitches get stuff done.

I didn't yell at anyone, or use harsh language, or throw a fit. But I didn't back down either. I pushed back and asked for what I want. I let them know when I was unhappy, and though I couldn't see my facial expression, I probably made it clear how I felt by the look on my face. When I got good service at the second CVS and on the phone at Victoria's Secret, I thanked people sincerely and told them I appreciated their help. I was quite nice, in fact. But I think sometimes as women we're a little too worried about being nice. I'm sure those women I didn't back down from don't think I'm nice. But I made them do their jobs. I demanded good service. And if they don't think I'm nice...I don't really care.

Oh, and my students would know the capital of Vermont too. I'm no nun, but I get stuff done!

4 comments:

  1. I have said this more than once lately "you've got to have your own back, because no one else will."

    Having those conversations can be difficult and take practice for those who are not naturally assertive, but they do get easier (most times)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you! I know sometimes I am TOO nice and I need to work on being more forceful to get what i want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being strong and persisting in getting the result you are entitled to. Tina and Amy rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes you have to be blunt to get results. Good job!

    ReplyDelete