Sunday, October 16, 2011

Budget Communication

Last night I was helping the BF work on his resume, something I've wanted to get my hands on for a while. It went well and we got a lot done. He was saying it sounded good and that we made a lot of progress. I said "Now if I can just get my hands on your budget..." And he replied, "Go ahead."

YES.

He told me how much he brings home and what bills he has. I wrote up a rough template last night and we talked about it some. He asked some questions, including: "The thing I've never understood about budgeting is how do I plan for something like gas? I don't know how much I'm going to spend ahead of time." I talked him through it, emphasizing that he needs to record EVERYTHING he spends in order to figure out what his budget should look like.

He said, "Oh, like Weight Watchers." Totally reminded me of Red's post about weight loss this week. :) He made several comparisons to WW, which was a good way to get him on board since he's been really successful at that (kicking my ass at it, in fact.)

Anyway, I don't think I should go into too much detail here on his budget...apparently he believes in something called "privacy." Pssshhh. But I did allow extra money each month to go towards his savings or his debt, which made me excited. Here's hoping he will stick to it, because this would get us onto the same page with things, which would be AWESOME.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link!

    Yeah, Mr. Red wants nothing to do with a budget, lol. Consider yourself lucky! And I hope he sticks to it too. Knowing what you're spending every month and having a budget is a really empowering feeling.

    ReplyDelete