Thursday, September 29, 2011

Craaaaaaap.

Yesterday I got a slip in my mailbox letting me know that I was overpaid for the hours I worked in August. We were supposed to get paid $25 per hour for most of the days, and our hourly rate for three of the days. When we got paid, everyone was excited that we were paid our hourly rate for all of the days. So excited, in fact, that no one thought to ask if this was a mistake.

Yeah, it was a mistake.

So, we found out that they will be correcting this error in either our October or November checks. Which makes sense, I understand they need to fix it. But it throws off my savings plans and backtracks me a bit. Which is no fun. Luckily, I did save a lot of money in September, so I will have that extra money for the short check months. Ideally, I'd like to buckle down and keep it in savings, but it's going to be a lot of money, so that may not be possible.

I can't imagine what I would have done if this was during debt repayment time and I would have sent off a giant payment to my credit card or car payment. That would have been REALLY bad. Makes me thankful I have my debt taken care of and I still have the money in savings.

How much you ask? If they take out the gross amount, not the net, I will lose about $720 in my next paycheck. Ouch!

I'm not entirely sure how much it will be, because I don't know how the tax thing will work. I was already taxed for that payment, so if they take the gross amount out (which I assume they will) that's going to SUCK. And result in an overpayment of taxes? Although I guess I will owe less for next month, so it will even out?

Anyone have any experience in something like this who can explain the tax part to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment