Friday, November 12, 2010

Working some frugal magic!

Every year Scholastic offers a bunch of books for $1 each right around Christmas, marketed to teachers to get as gifts for their students. I buy them for my students, have my yearbook class wrap them up, and then give them a book report assignment to do over Christmas break. (Yes, even my presents give them homework).

I use the bonus points that I get when the kids order to get them, though I didn't have as many orders this year, so I thought I'd have to buy some of them. But through manipulation of all the coupons and special offers you can do with each order I managed to get all 46 books for free!

It's not that hard to figure out, but it did take some manipulation to get it all right. I felt like a genius and wanted to take a victory lap around my classroom when I figured it out. :)

My Christmas shopping is coming along really well and totally within budget. I'm waiting for another Swagbucks gift card to post to get my last main gift, and then I'll be pretty much done, except for stocking stuffers and one more thing for the BF...to be determined.

How's your Christmas shopping going? Are you finding any good deals or freebies?

1 comment:

  1. I'm doing pretty well Christmas-wise. I bought 2 gifts last month, one for my brother and one for my sister. I still want to get one small thing for my brother, then I need to buy for BFF #1, my parents and my BF. BFF #2 is in Thailand until June, so we're basically taking the year off in terms of Christmas and birthday gifts. And my parents' gifts are taken care of financially by some evening staff development events I'm attending.

    So what I'm trying to say - in the most long-winded way possible - is that I only need to make a little more room in the budget to buy the rest of my gifts!

    ReplyDelete