Saturday, November 13, 2010

I earned grad units and I didn't even know it!

So last year I attempted National Board Certification. Basically, it's four portfolios and six written assessments. If I pass, I automatically earn an extra seven and a half percent, plus have the opportunity to earn another seven and a half if I complete 92 hours of mentoring other teachers. I find out if I passed in the next few weeks. So either it'll be a big blog post, or you'll never hear about it again. :/

Anyway, I just got an email from the organization saying that the portfolio entries are now available for grad credit through George Fox University. All I have to do is fill out some paperwork (online...do you still call it paperwork when it's online?) and pay $295 and I will be the proud recipient of three graduate units, which puts me closer to my goal of getting a raise by June. (recap: 14 units required for next raise, I just completed two in the last two weeks).

I could definitely find cheaper salary points, but the fact that all the work is done is worth it to me. I'm spending more money, but saving time and that's not small thing in my life. My dilemma is that in order to pay for it this month, I'd have to hit up my emergency fund. If I wait until December, I could work it into the budget. There's really not a huge rush, so I know the right answer. I just like the idea of getting this going and being done with it. But, I'm going to wait until December when I get paid to take care of it.

I also signed up for a free salary point class through the district. It's on December 4th and 11th all day...and doesn't sound as interesting as my last two classes. But I can't resist the free salary points, so I'm doing it. There's another free class that does sound interesting over Christmas break. I'm on the waiting list for that one, but it's a week long technology class and it's worth two units. If I get in, for those of you doing the math, I'll have eight units done by the beginning of January. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment