Saturday, January 21, 2012

Europe Hotels Booked!

This week Shelley and I talked on the phone three or four times, mostly about where we should stay in Amsterdam and Beligum. We finally decided to stay at Bed & Breakfast Jordaan in Amsterdam. It gets great reviews, comes with breakfast, the owner is said to be super helpful in planning your days, and it was a reasonable amount. In American dollars, we'll each be paying about $80 per night.
Street view


Doesn't this look lovely?


For our two nights in Beligum we decided to stay in Bruges at Hotel Ter Reien. We're paying about $75 per night each there. It also got good reviews, and we spent an extra ten bucks per night for a canal view, where apparently swans come up to your windows and you can feed them bread. (shut up!) This one also comes with breakfast.

Right on the canal...
Yes, we could have found cheaper places to stay. But I'm over hostels, and I wanted my own bathroom (something many of the cheaper hotels in Europe didn't offer). I think we struck a good balance between getting a good deal and staying somewhere nice.

Now that we have our hotels booked, it's starting to feel real! Whoo hoo!

7 comments:

  1. Oooooh, the Jordaan district is nice! I wished I hadn't cheapest out on my hostel in Amsterdam. While the bathrooms weren't an issue, I was in a 32 person dorm *without shower access* for 23$/night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hotel looks so cute! And I'd happily pay $80 a night. That seems very reasonable, especially for Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOKS AMAZING! You're going to have such a great time =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having your own bathroom is super underrated. It was one of the few things I insisted on for my 10 days in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great, I'm excited for your vacation.

    What do you imagine the crowd of readers jeered at the feeding-swans-bread thing? The "shut up!" made me laugh because I couldn't figure out what you were imagining people saying.

    "SWANS DON'T EAT BREAD"
    "WHY DON'T THE WINDOWS HAVE SCREENS ON THEM"
    "MOST SWANS HAVE RABIES"

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used "shut up!" in an "OMG, that's awesome" sort of way. But I can see how it's unclear.

    ReplyDelete