Friday, February 17, 2012

I Never Thought I'd Say This...

But I love SoCal Edison. That's my electric company. A while back, I posted that I started using their budget assistant to track my electricity usage. You set a goal for the month and they send you a weekly email saying how you're doing and what your projected bill is, based on your usage so far. You can also log in at any time and see where your at, how much electricity was used each day at different times. It's great, for a nerd like me.

I tracked it this month and made a few changes to keep my electric bill down. I primarily charged my phone in my car, and also started charging my computer at work and letting it run on battery power at night. I was also aware of turning off the lights and using natural light whenever possible. I set a goal for $20 for the month.

Piece of good news number one: I came in under budget at $16.31! That's my cheapest electric bill ever, I'm happy to say. Whoo-hoo!

Good news item number two: I got a coupon in the mail saying that if I sign up for the Budget Assistant, I can get a free $10 gift card. I tried it, and even though I'm already signed up, it looks like it worked, and I'll get a gift card sometime in April. You could choose from Amazon, Fandango, or Mastercard gift cards. I went with Mastercard, since that gives me the option to use it almost anywhere. Score!

So, even though I never thought I'd be singing the praises of my electric company...tonight I am. That puts me under my utility budget by $12...which will go straight into my Europe fund at the end of the month!

6 comments:

  1. Wow that's a cheap electric bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be very careful in turning off all your lights. :) Congrats on doing such a good job for the environment and your wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats a great service, $20 is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had those features from my electric company -- my bill was $15 more than I expected this month! =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome. I wonder if my electric company has anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love their new budget assistant! Your electricity bill is so low though - mine is usually more like $150/month. With 3 of us living here, trying to reduce it is a bit hard but I'm inspired now to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete