Sunday, November 22, 2009

No Drive Days

I am working on having more and more No Drive Days. It's pretty much what it sounds like-days where I don't drive my car. I am in a carpool for work with two other people, so I can avoid driving to work a decent amount. (Of course, being teachers, we aren't always ready to leave at the same time and are on different committees; but the carpooling certainly helps). My goal for 2010 is to have 100 days where I don't drive my car at all. I know there are cities where this would be common; but I'm a Californian. We really like to drive.

Today I had a no-drive day. I hung around the house most of the day, to be honest. But, this evening I decided to walk to Ralphs to buy the ingredients for my green bean casserole that I am preparing for Thanksgiving. I bundled up, loaded This American Life onto my ipod, and walked to the store.

The result-I listened to a great podcast, got a little exercise, didn't buy more than I needed at the store (didn't want to carry it!), helped the environment, and saved some cash by walking instead of driving. Well worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Good Job Jess! I had a dream with you in it last night, btw. I dreamt that we walked all the way from San Clemente to Long Beach because we were going to go out to dinner. But I had Davey with me and we had to stop and buy him a leash and then you said your foot hurt and you went home, so then I walked all they way back to San Clemente. Maybe you bailed in my dream because you remembered that you aren't spending money this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I hope that's why! How rude of me! :)

    ReplyDelete