Monday, April 23, 2012

Finding Motivation

I would definitely say I am not the most disciplined person when it comes to food. I am about five pounds above my recommended weight for my height, which is about fifteen pounds above my ideal weight for my frame (still a healthy weight for me). I fluctuate five to ten pounds pretty consistently. Part of the problem is that I really like eating and I have a big appetite. I can eat A LOT, people.

Anyway, I decided to rejoin Weight Watchers in hopes of losing about fifteen pounds. I've done WW before, and it works for me, though I have trouble sticking with it long-term. But, I have a new way of thinking that should help me find some motivation this time.

This week, BF is starting on budgeting again. He's tried before, done okay, but has fallen off the wagon. He says that he just has trouble sticking with it, and since he knows that sometimes it's hard to start. He also says it's hard for him to let someone see his finances (that someone being me). It's something  I've conquered, and he knows he should too but he just has trouble with it.

That is EXACTLY how I feel about Weight Watchers. He thrived at WW, while I floundered. He stuck with it, showing AMAZING self-control, I made excuses and quit. We've both been here before. But, this time when I want to say, "Screw it, I'm EATING what I want!" I'm going to remember that I want BF to persevere with his finances and not say, "Screw it, I'm BUYING what I want!" When I think that it's ridiculous to weigh lunch meat and count the handful of jelly beans I ate into my points, I am going to remember that I want him to track the one dollar soda he buys as part of his grocery budget.

I'm not saying this will be the magic bullet...but it IS changing how I think about this. I know many people (myself included) have made the comparison between finance and weight loss before. But seeing it acted out in my house does seem to be making a difference.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I made a two point Weight Watchers dessert that I need to go and try.

4 comments:

  1. Finding motivation to do things like that is hard. It has to be the exact perfect blend of success, determination, external motivation and intrinsic motivation - plus, fear (bikini season is usually scary) for me to actually be successful in losing weight.

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined and quit WW at least twice before, the 3rd time stuck and I lost 30 lbs. This is your turn now & you're going to do great! Budget and weight loss are two of the toughest areas to conquer. But it sounds like you both can really benefit from each others success & find a balance there.

    And I can see some kind of competition brewing...get 2 jars. You put in a dollar for every pound lost, he puts in the dollars he doesn't spend out of his budge and at the end of 3 months, who ever has the most dollars gets to decide what to do with the whole lot! Or something like that...

    Have fun with it!
    <3 Ush

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO with you on all points in this post. I also recently re-joined WW because I'm just simply not happy with my weight. I'm not technically overweight, I'm just about 10 lbs. above the weight I like to be at. And it sucks…my clothes don't fit right, I feel like my face looks puffy when I look in the mirror. But it's SO hard to be on a diet. I definitely agree that it's way harder to diet than manage finances. I guess that's why we're both finance bloggers instead of diet bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! WW is a great program.

    ReplyDelete