Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Money in the Bank

The other day I posted about the wedding expenses so far (and how we're saving money so far). I thought I'd also post an update about how much I've put in my savings for the big day.

My grandma gave me a check for a thousand dollars toward the wedding, which was super nice of her. I deposited that, along with $515 from the weight loss contest I did. My grandma also gave me a bag of coins as a "stocking stuffer" (even though we didn't do stockings this year). That was another $51.11. And then I took in our jar of coins. We started it when we moved in together a year and a half ago. We have occasionally raided it for laundry money, but we've obviously been pretty good about leaving it alone. The total in there was $119.55!
So, for those of you playing at home, the grand total in the wedding budget is $1,685.66. Holla! This is good news, since I need to pay off my dress, the taco guy deposit, and will be paying another $200 deposit this week. Luckily I am still ahead of the game in saving, and will continue to add more from my tax returns, and my regular paycheck as time goes by.

I put the money in with my E-fund for now. As I use it I will transfer it to checking, but I want to keep it somewhere I won't just spend it. I have added another thousand to my E-fund since I stopped blogging, so I am at three and a half months of expenses, plus the wedding budget in there. If it gets too difficult to keep track of, I can start a new account...but I'd rather not since I have money in five accounts already.

Now, I am just chomping at the bit waiting for my W-2's to come so I can do taxes and see what my return will be. Anyone else excited to do taxes? How did you save for your wedding?

4 comments:

  1. We did much the same as you to save for our wedding - lots of scrimping and saving - every $10 will help. We also had some gifts from my mom and my great aunt. You will also undoubtedly receive some wedding $$ as gifts and while you can't rely on that - you can certainly use it to pay off any debt you accrued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be interested in www.thebudgetsavvybride.com.

    I love reading the stories from so many girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon your blog and have loved reading all of your posts. Your honesty is inspiring. I love your chart on the side. Good luck and keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm a freelance journalist working on a story for Redbook magazine about celebrating or rewarding yourself when you reach a financial goal -- anything from burning the mortgage papers to having a glass of wine because you opened an IRA. I found your blog, saw how many great goals you've reached and wondered if you might have a story to share. If so, I'd love to hear it and hopefully run it in Redbook. Drop me an email at mw @ melodywarnick.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete